Monday, July 23, 2012

We're doing it live!

Hello to all! Sorry I haven't written in a while, it's been busy, busy here! Are you ready for a juicy filled update? Hope so! Sit back, relax, and read. Here we go, BOOM. 



Two of our girls, Mireya and Debora, just graduated from High School which is a HUGE accomplishment for them. They had quite the fan club at the ceremony, from volunteers, staff, and employees from the home. It was huge for them, for us, and it really was a such an incredible moment, one I will never forget. To see the smile on their faces, how proud they were to be in that cap and gown, and receive that diploma was absolutely amazing.   They are driven and motivated beyond words which is so inspirational. They will give one year of service back to the home before going to University. 

The morning of graduation, I went with two of the older girls to get beautified before the big event. Hair, nails, and girl time. It was beyond awesome. We did the normal girl talk, aka boy talk, had coffee, and just hung out at the salon for 4 hours. I really enjoyed my time with them.  They are like having Clare and Hannah here. I don't have to discipline them, they are on the same page, they are respectful, and it reminds me of my sisters at home, so it's great to be able to have them here and play that role in my life. Plus, they both make me laugh, not like Clare and Hannah do, but close. With them, I don't sit in the corner and make jokes that I think are funny and laugh to myself. They laugh with me. (Clare and Hannah, I think I made the yearbook here. WATTUPPPPP.) 

Anyway, I got my hair cut, which I really like how the lady did it and will definitely go back. She washed, cut, blew dry, and straightened it for $300 pesos which is roughly $7.50. BARGAIN! Awesome considering I usually spend at least $40 in the States for the same thing. Besides that, the girls I went with, Wisilina and Kenna, were very into me getting my hair done and watching my every step. Of course they were giggling through it all because they knew I had never gotten my hair cut in the DR before and it is a little different than the salons in the US. But nonetheless, I loved what she did, just what I wanted, and I will definitely return. 

Pictures of the 'new-do' and graduation with the girls! 


Marileen and I 

Marileen and I 



Kenna, Me, & Marileen


 

All the vols and graduates! 


Peace Corps Dan & I 








Remember outreach camp where the kid pulled the machete the first time? Well, I have been back twice since and it has been MUCH better. The kids are much more attentive, our kids are doing great as leaders, and it’s nice to break it up, get out of the house, and really experience Dominican Culture. Not to mention, it’s really good for our kids to see what life is like here outside of the NPH walls. They are doing great and I am so proud of them.  


I have been playing more of a supervisor role, which has been great. I have made a little buddy, her name is AltaGracia, and she is just the sweetest. She is quiet and shy, but is so attentive and loves to read stories, play, and color. On the flip side, this wittle pip squeak can hold her own. No means no and when another kid is bugging her, she makes sure they know. Too funny. She usually comes out of no where and grabs my hand, well, more like my finger, to just hold onto while the activities are going on. Can you say Snuggle buddy? Precious. 



Josecito & Jose (NPH Leaders)


AltaGracia, my new buddy from the Batey. Such a sweetheart! 


Reading Corduroy in Spanish. Classic! 


Ricardo, NPH Leader, doing an AWESOME Dynamica! 


Avriel and some of the Leaders. 



This video is a must see! Some of you may have seen it on my Facebook, but it is one of the many videos that instantly puts a smile on my face. Josecito and I playing. I won, naturally. :)






Lastly, Hannah comes on Wednesday! We are all SO excited to have her. One of my boys, Sebastiancito, said to my tía yesterday, "Tía! La loca viene!" Meaning, Tía! The crazy is coming! And she was like, what? Sebatiancito said, "Hannah. Magadalena's sister is coming Wednesday. She is crazier than Magdalena!" We are so excited for her to be here as well as the group of students from my High School. It's going to be a busy next couple of weeks, but I am excited for all of the craziness. It keeps me busy, the kids happy, and the drive I have to be here. It's the experiences like these where I love for people to come see what I do. It's a full time job, not one where I can sit back, kick my feet up, and go to the beach when I want. It's demanding, tiring, but you get so much back in return. And you can see that on the faces of the visitors when they come, which to me, is everything. This is the life I love. The kids here have touched my heart and everyday is a new adventure. Sun up to Sun down. Just keep going and live every second of it. 

That's all I have for now! Big update next week when Hannah is here! 

Hasta Pronto


2 comments:

  1. oh that video is hilarious. I really want to come visit you. It might not be till like spring semester but its going to happen :) I am so supporting you from over here girl in any way possible. Your doing a phenomenal job madelon! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Madelon!
    First, give Mireya and Debora a big FELICIDADES hug from me on graduating, that is so awesome!! Debora and I used to practice English together when I was there, which was super cute. So actually tell her I said CONGRATULATIONS! :) Your hair looks great and it is so cool to see how you are able to take the kids out of the orphanage now on outings. That is something we weren't allowed to do when I was there so that's cool they are letting you guys do that. Also, I love how that you have the NPH kids set up as leaders to do outreach stuff. I would love to learn more about it. Okay Kenya is crying for me but take care, thanks again for all you are and do!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete